Amcrest IP8M-2496EW - Recording Question

see a device that we do not currently have and think we should research in to let us know here. The same goes for features on devices If there is a feature we don't have that you would like please request it here and it will be passed along to the R&D team.
sydney

Amcrest IP8M-2496EW - Recording Question

Post by sydney »

Hello,

I have some questions regarding this Amcrest IP8M-2496EW (white) or IP8M-2496EB (black). Same model just different color and it's an outdoor POE camera. Here are my questions:

Q1 - Without changing any camera settings after installing & mounting the camera outdoor, you simply connect
the built-in ethernet cable to a POE switch. Does this camera start recording 24x7?

Q2 - If you go to the "Video Detection' screen in the UI, you will see Sensitivity (S) and Threshold (T). Based on my research, the higher the sensitivity value, the more sensitive the camera will be which means it can detect very slight movement. When it detects movement, it DOES NOT mean it will start recording. Recording is contingent upon the "Threshold" setting. For example, if S=100 and T=100, the camera will probably never record anything. If S=90 and T=5, what type motion will the camera detect AND record? Can someone give some examples?

Thanks much.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest IP8M-2496EW - Recording Question

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So about your First Question.. Sadly there is a lot of different brands, models and quality of models so it is hard to say what any one is really setup to do.. In most cases I have seen all my system start recording 24/7 when cameras were connected.

However one of my Amcrest units I can't remember if it was Setup to Auto Record... I am going to say it was. However what I know is there is just way to much going on for a Simple click and set to record on it... There is the Schedules and you would think that would do it if you were setting up to record. However there is more. Then on the HDD I have to go in a turn each of the Ch to record. Then to top that off on that page there is Main Stream and Extra Stream options that you can set form Schedule, Manual or Stop. Then there is the Snapshot options there as well.

To be honest it don't stop there either... Because while it will setup to record you have to make sure it is set to the right Encoding you want. What your Extra Stream Encoding and all the such...

2nd question... It is really hard to say what will do what... What I can tell you is that the way it came from Amcrest or other companies I am going to call the Common ground... It isn't over or under... However to be fair everyone will have to test these setups to get the right for them... When you set the Grids you can have someone walk into the area of the Grid and test what best works for you...

I can tell you that what you have set for the Day time if you have your system setup as B/W at night in most times you will be very unhappy with the amount of alerts you have if you live in a large rain or snow area... Snow is worse... Or have a lot of Bugs... Or live in the area I live in where most nights it is so Humid that it looks like it is raining from the ground up lol It is crazy looking I really like it myself but Motion at night here is really bad in B/W not so bad in Color...

So to say what would work for one person that gets all the motion alerts and none are false there is only 1 way 2 of my systems can do that and that is with Motion PIR however for the best it would have to be aPIR or a dual sensor because I tired pure PIR in my area and in the summer time it don't work well lol.. Only way to make it work is with a Active system like PIR with presence detection for best results... These do cost 4 or 5 times that of a normal PIR but is less prone to false alarms... Some cameras have them built into the camera and is why some cameras don't work with Motion if they are from a different brand... Because the Cameras designed to get presence detection from a Sensor that is in the camera and not grid motion.

Anyway 2 of my Systems have loads of inputs like one of my 16ch that is really 18ch with 2 IP ch added.. anyway it has 32 inputs and 20 outputs. The older one is 12 inputs and 8 out...
Be Safe.
sydney

Post by sydney »

Revo2Maxx: I appreciate your detailed feedbacks and you've made good points about what might work for someone might not work for me/you.

Here's what I don't understand and it's the reason I asked those two questions. I have six IP2M-841 Amcrest and this new one IP8M-2496 which is my first POE outdoor camera. The 841's are mounted inside the house. After I got outdoor camera hooked up & running, these were the changes I made to the camera:

1. Set Sensiviity (S) = 90 and Threshold (T) = 5. These are the same values I used for my 841's so I decided to make
them the same.

2. Configured the Storage.

That's all I touched and NOTHING else. BTW, my outdoor camera is mounted just right above my front entrance.
I let it run for a couple of weeks and have been reviewing the snapshots & videos everyday. Every day, I noticed
there's a new folder created for each day and looks something like this:

c:\amcrest\2019-12-10\001\dav\00
c:\amcrest\2019-12-10\001\dav\01
c:\amcrest\2019-12-10\001\dav\23

You guys already know what 00, 01, 23 mean. No need for details here. Then within each of those directories, an 8 minute mp4 file is created for that hour. Each mp4 files is ~240Mb. So if what I wanted to find out what passed through my camera say at 10.30am, I just looked for that mp4 file and play it. This in effect creates the 24x7 recording every day for two weeks. Just to give you some idea on file size, my outdoor camera consumes ~35Gb of
storage/day. Storage is not an issue for me.

What I don't understand is this: what is driving my 24x7 recording? All of my 841's DON'T do this. The 841s record based on motion and the S/T settings. Initially I thought maybe because is an outdoor and by design it's always "ON" and always "recording".

This is what I need clarification from those who own IP8M-2496 cameras or Amcrest techs who understand this camera and can explain to me.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awww Ok... Better understand what your needing..

First I want to say that the 2 cameras are far from being like in same way they work. To a degree the same however there are things with the 2496 that can be done that we can't do with out 841... Like ACF... Being able to Record from more then one stream depending on Normal over Event I mean you can kind of with the 841 just not as tuned...

"The camera supports active control frame function (ACF. (It allows the user to record in different frame rates.)) For example, a high frame rate can be used to record important events, and a low frame rate can be used to record scheduled events. The camera also allows for the option to set different frame rates for motion detection recordings and alarm recordings.... These are some things that you would want to fine tune to your needs...

The Motion aspect you I think already know about it not sure why the high numbers as I use 60 and 5

Sensitivity is the amount of change required to increase the motion detected by a percentage. The
lower the sensitivity, the more movement is required to trigger an alarm (60)

Threshold is the level that the motion detection needs to reach in order to trigger an alarm. The
lower the threshold, the more likely that motion will trigger an alarm. (5)

About the File naming... I can tell you that you can fine tune the file size right now you said I think 8 min under the Recorded file in setup you can pick a larger or smaller like on my 841's I have them set to 10min on my 751 because it is on Wifi I have it set to 5min. So 12 files an hour over FTP where the 841 only 6 or +1 more depending on where it falls on the hour...

Strange thing in your case is the files sound like FTP setup.. That is how they are saved on my FTP server... What you may want to look in for what it is Recording 24/7 if you only want Motion... Is under Setup, Motion, Schedule and change the format form Green as General down to Yellow for Motion. You will need to still change the Motion grid to the defined area you want detection and want to enable that in the setup as well..

Also the ACF I was talking about.. I am not 100% sure but i am thinking that is found in the Encoding section of the camera.. 841 would only have Encode Mode as first Drop down where this camera has something like Code Stream type... And that would be under the Setup, camera Video... ..

Maybe someone with more info will chime in and give better info on what your looking for if that don't cover it here..
Be Safe.
sydney

Post by sydney »

Again, I appreciate the quick response. After reading your reply, you have talked about ACF, FTP, encoding and file naming. This is new info I'm learning from you. However, none of which really explains my observations of my outdoor camera. That is what is driving it to record 24x7? Is it my current settings, by design or what? My storage is NAS. As for file naming, I'm not sure if there's anything I want to do at this point.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So that was what I was trying to explain... ACF might have something to do with the Recording 24/7 if it isn't in your setup under normal area of such...

So I am going to guess that the difference is that this Outdoor Camera came with the 24/7 already active in setup by design... While I have 3 working 4 total 841 I can't remember with all the settings and setups and changes just how they came setup... So I will take the Last of of the 3 that is close to me and Reset it back to Factory so I have first hand account lol...

My logic behind this is that the Outdoor camera is more of a Security Camera in design and the others while they do work as a Security Camera has been in my thoughts more of a Toy lol...

So in my last post there was also mention about changing the 24/7 from the Schedule area of the Camera... I am going to guess that it is setup to record 24/7 by design seeing it is outside Camera...

See Picture
RecordType.jpg
RecordType.jpg (221.18 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

WOW ok... So just did a Factory reset and sure enough that is how it comes up Motion and Alarm only setup...

Well now I have to go back and configure my camera so I just wanted to update what the 841 did on setup... As I can't remember much these days My mind isn't as sharp as it was 30 or 40 years ago lol...

REC_Reset.jpg
REC_Reset.jpg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Be Safe.
sydney

Post by sydney »

My screen shows Yellow and Red across from 0 -> 24 every day. Again, as I said, I didn't touch these settings other than those two I listed in my post. So the yellow & red must be the default of my camera. I never touch this screen on my other 841's either.
sydney

Post by sydney »

i posted my last reply maybe at the same time you posted your last screen. Yes, that's what mine looks like. Sorry you had to re-configure your 841. You could have done an Export first. lol
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Aww yes that is what I did... Funny thing is for what ever reason it didn't Auto setup my Static IP lol... Other then that I did a Import of the settings so all my Presets are back and all things named Night time color is back up rather then the blasting IR from Window Reflection lol

I just went in to network TCP/IP and setup Static and Changed Ip to normal IP I have set to my DVR's and PC-NVR and my Email and FTP was relaoding in by import that is the best part of the whole Export Import not having to Remember my FTP and Email passwords lol...
Be Safe.