Camera only useable over ethernet.

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
longedge
Site Admin

Camera only useable over ethernet.

Post by longedge »

I just got an IP2M-841B yesterday and am still trying to get to grips with it. The only way I can find to make it useable is to keep the ethernet cable connected. If I rely on wi-fi then I get a still image that updates every 20-30 seconds in a little flurry. Trying to use PTZ is impossible. I'm beginning to wonder if I've gone wrong in my basic setup. Any pointers please?

p.s. Could the fact that I've set it up as P2P have anything to do with what is happening. I've got a Netgear R6250 router running 2.4 and 5GHz connections on separate ssid's. If I log onto the network using my iPhone but on the 2.4Ghz connection from next to where I sited the camera and run a speedcheck, it maxes my internet connection out at around 37Mbps. It doesn't seem to matter whether I connect my phone to the network using 2.4 or 5GHz but that is what I would expect as it is just a connection to the lan. With the camera connected via ethernet, the router shows that it has got 2xIP addresses.

p.p.s. Although I have a nominal 40Mbps internet connection, the upstream speed that I normally achieve is around 7Mbps. At first I wondered whether this might be a problem but it can't be because simply keeping the ethernet cable connected makes the camera useable and reverting to Wi-Fi turns it back into effectively a still camera.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
longedge
Site Admin

Re: Camera only useable over ethernet.

Post by longedge »

p.p.p.s. Well after some help from Amcrest Support, the camera is working via Wi-Fi almost as well as it does on ethernet. If anybody else should come across this and have a similar problem, a number of changes were required on my camera after I had set it up initially.
I had to download the IP_config_tool and change my camera IP settings to reflect my own network settings. Other than that, when connecting via the web interface (with I.E., FF latest version doesn't work) I found a setting to change the camera default connection from ethernet to Wi-Fi. These didn't make a lot of difference initially but the next day when I connected it was suddenly working 'properly'. I haven't been able to find out what actually made it happen.... it just did?
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03