Bricked IP5M?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
SpotCollins

Bricked IP5M?

Post by SpotCollins »

New to the Amcrest camera world. Trying to upgrade from all the sh**ty cloud-based cams from the big box stores. Started with Amcrease IP5M.

Tried installing it today, but I'm wondering if I got a bricked model? Plugged into either AC adapter (12v, 2000mA output) or POE cable, I get no indicator/power light at all. It appears it's not powering up at all when plugged in. Did I get screwed? Am I missing something super obvious?

I opened up the SD card bay cover and there is nothing but a reset button and an SD slot in there. I assumed the light would be on the face of the camera anyway, but figured I'd check.

Thanks for your input
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Bricked IP5M?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Bought new or used? Hear anything with camera once given power. If model with IRC you should hear it click on power up

Also how long after power up before checking for life
Be Safe.
SpotCollins

Post by SpotCollins »

Bought brand new via Amazon. No noise or any other indication that it is receiving power. Out of abundance of caution, I ordered a brand new 12V, 5a adapter which will arrive tomorrow. But I don't think that's gonna solve the problem because neither my current adapter nor POE powered this up.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sounds like bad camera, IT does happen, did it look like it was a return? Maybe someone bought it and used CCA cable and fried it. Then returned said nothing was wrong so Amazon packed as new. Or maybe even opened it and last owner repacked it so it looked new? Either way sounds dead.

Not sure where you bought the 5amp PSU, Keep in mind if low cost, It might be a 3.33amp marked as 5amp. I have ran into this myself. Hard to get good PSU off the internet that are as marked. Now I always test them when I get them to make sure they will do at least 5amps. A good 5amp power supply should do more then 5amps for a very short time and have good constant 5amps. Just like the 2amp power supply that comes with the Amcrest DVR/NVRs they will produce over 2amps for the inrush *Start Up Current* I have even tested some of my other DVR/NVRs and the power supplies that come with them will do the same. Normally about 2.24amps for less then 5 seconds then goes down to less then an amp after. That is with a HDD installed, If no HDD installed the startup is very low about 204ma before going to just under 1amp..

5amp is more then plenty, Even able to do more then 1 camera as along as they are short distance power. If you are running them over long cable that can be an issue as Voltage Drop can cause issues for other connected devices..
Be Safe.