Amcrest NV2104-HS 4CH Hard drive error

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
athach

Amcrest NV2104-HS 4CH Hard drive error

Post by athach »

My Amcrest NV2104-HS 4CH NVR 4K/6MP/5MP/4MP/3MP/1080P Network Video Recorder has been acting up lately. its been having issues reading the hard drive. To fix this issue I have to reboot the NVR and everything is working again, however the same thing happens again hours later. I dont think the hard drive is bad since the NVR is able to detect and record after the reboot. What can I do to fix this?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest NV2104-HS 4CH Hard drive error

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum...

So I don't have your NVR so hard to say what is going on. IS your NVR Pre Installed with the HDD or is it a HDD you installed?

Also Size and Type of HDD that you have installed in the unit?

I can tell you that I have a DVR while it is not a NVR it kind of works in same idea... Had to replace the HDD 2 times in the last 7 years. This last time it went out I didn't have a Sata III drive and used a different HDD while waiting for the new one to get here... It would see it and let me Format it. I then set up the recording. I then checked in a couple of hours to make sure that I could play back what was recorded. COme to find out that it wasn't even recording even though it says it was. The HDD light on the Recorder said it was. However looking at the HDD data area left to the size of HDD formatted it didn't change so then I knew it wasn't working... Removed the HDD and use my CMS as a Recorder while I waited for new HDD to get to me... Good news about these there is most cases a way to Record even without the HDD being installed.

Another weird thing when I seen this HDD start to fail it also took out CH1 from working and thought my old DVR was starting to fail. After some Trouble shooting found it wasn't a fault with Camera and removed bad HDD from unit left it empty CH1 came back online. Once new HDD came and I installed it I haven't had an issue with Ch1 or ability to playback or record all is well. I am not saying you will have an issue with CH1 or any other for that matter I was just saying I did. Even though I don't understand the relation between bad HDD and Ch1 going out lol...

For your Machine. I would say a GOOD Nas Sata III drive or Surveillance Drive is a Must. I know that is what my 9 year old 7 year in service DVR requires or it won't work. I know that from what I looked up your system says it is Sata III...
Be Safe.
athach

Re: Amcrest NV2104-HS 4CH Hard drive error

Post by athach »

James,

My NVR doesn't come with a pre-installed HD when purchased. I purchased it separately on Amazon 4 months ago (WD Purple 2TB Surveillance Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD20PURZ). I had purchased the same hard drive for another system and it seems to be working fine so far.

It sounds like i'm having the same or very similar issues that you're describing. I will open up the NVR and disconnect and reconnect the hard drive, see if that will fix my issue.

Thanks for your response.